Urban planning committee (CCU)

This committee is mandated by the town council to provide recommendations on all matters relating to urban planning and urban by-laws.  The committee must be consulted for all requests for minor derogations on the Municipality’s territory.

This approach has the advantage of involving citizens in the decision-making process.  They can bring their experience of life in the community, as well as their concerns regarding urban planning.

The following is a list of the CCU committee members:

  • Gaston Chamberland, municipal councillor and president
  • Jules Brunelle-Marineau, municipal councillor
  • Jean-Philippe Vermette, CCU member
  • Virginie Hébert, CCU member
  • Josée Brunet, CCU member
  • Andréanne Godbout, municipal inspector, serves as a ressource person.

Over the next few months, the CCU and the municipal council will be working on an in-depth overhaul of the urban planning by-laws (zoning, subdivision, construction, minor derogations, site plans and architectural integration plans, etc.) in order to ensure that they are consistent with the provisions of the regional development plan of the MRC Brome-Missisquoi, to improve them and to bring them up to date.  This overhaul will take several months. A public consultation procedure is foreseen.

As soon as they come into force, the new regulations will be put online for a simplified consultation.

You will find the municipal by-laws related to urbanism in this section.

Work requiring a permit

    • Building construction work
    • Building expansion work
    • Building renovation work
    • Building modification work
    • Water catchment work
    • Septic systems
    • Subdivision operations

Work requiring a certificate of authorization

      • Opening of an establishment
      • Building demolition
      • Building relocation
      • All work involving a pool or a hot tub
      • Installation of a fence or a low wall
      • Construction, installation or modification of a sign (permanent or temporary)
      • Landscaping projects in riverside and shoreline areas
      • Tree-cutting
      • Parking lot development

For further information from the town inspector, please call 450 295-2418, extension 27 or send an e-mail at:  urba@ville.dunham.qc.ca

Documents required to obtain a permit

The first step in obtaining a permit is to complete a permit application. In general, you must provide as much information as possible concerning your project to the inspector so that he is able to process your application.

      • For the construction of a main building, a layout plan done by a surveyor is required. For the construction of an accessory building, only a rough sketch is required.
      • For all projects costing over $100,000, a plan done by an architect is required. For projects at a lower cost, only a construction sketch is required.

Septics systems

      • A percolation report is obligatory in order to determine the septic systems necessary for the construction of a new main building if that building isn’t served by the sewer system.

Drilling a well

      • The projected location of the well
      • The type of well
      • The name of the well driller
      • An estimate of the drilling cost


      • Concerns any tree over 10 centimetres in diameter and 1.2 metres from the ground
      • Any tree in the urban perimeter, on either side of a road or highway to a depth of 15 metres
      • Any tree located in a riverside buffer strip

Garage sales

      • Limit of two per year, per civic address;
      • They are permitted only during:
        • National Patriots’ Day weekend or the following weekend
        • Labour Day weekend or the following weekend.
      • Permits are not required for garage sales, however, the municipal regulations must be respected.


      • One single garage is permitted on a property of under 1,500 m² (16,145 ft²)
      • Two garages (one attached and one detached) are permitted on a property of over 1,500 m²
      • The maximum area of a garage depends on the size of the property
      • The location must be approved by the inspector
      • The outer facing must match up with that of the main building

Artisanal greenhouses

      • Two greenhouses are permitted on each property
      • The maximum area is 40 m² (430 ft²)
      • They must be over two metres from the main building and from the rear and side boundaries of the property

Link to PDF


      • Two sheds are permitted per residential building
      • Maximum area of 24 m² (258 ft²)
      • The location must be approved by the inspector
      • The outer facing must match up with that of the main building

Link to PDF

Temporary car shelters (Tempo)

      • Tempos are allowed from October 15th to May 15th.

Permits are not required for temporary car shelters, however, certain restrictions apply.